The leadership Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN) has suspended one of its members, Mohammad Mansour Ibrahim, over what it’s described as persistent gross misconduct and distard acts which put the professional body to disrepute in recent times.
This was revealed in a communique signed by it’s National President, Isaiah Benjamin and it’s Secretary-General Ikenna Okonkwo after its emergency National Executive Committee meeting on Thursday.
Below is the full text of the communiqué
COMMUNIQUÉ ISSUED AT THE END OF AN EMERGENCY VIRTUAL MEETING BY THE NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE (NEC) OF SPORTS WRITERS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA (SWAN) ON THURSDAY DECEMBER 7, 2023.
- The National SWAN NEC unanimously reviewed its activities since assumption into office about four months ago and explicitly commended its President Mr. Isaiah Benjamin for his dexterity and proactiveness in handling the affairs of Sports Writing Professionals in Nigeria.
- NEC at the meeting encouraged all SWAN members to continuously exhibit high level of professionalism in going about their duties while appealing that challenges encountered in the line of duty because of the prevailing economic situation in the country should not deter anyone as the leadership will from time to time galvanise Stakeholders for future gainful partnerships.
- After looking into the activities of one of its members, Mohammad Mansour Ibrahim, who engaged in persistent gross misconduct and distard acts which put the Professional Body to disrepute in recent times, NEC unanimously announced his indefinite suspension from all SWAN and all SWAN-related activities.
- NEC observed that Mansour, a Kano State-based broadcaster, has further engaged in various anti-professional actions, not minding that he is a member of the current SWAN, which negates how a leader is expected to conduct himself at all times.
- NEC while noting that Mansour’s suspension is in line with SWAN statutory provisions, asked him to return every SWAN Property/Document in his possession to the National Secretariat immediately as the suspension also excludes him from NEC, Zonal position in North-west as well as any form of participation or affiliation with the Association at all Levels of its composition including in Kano and the entire North-west till further notice.
- Also, NEC at its meeting approved the appointment of Alhaji Rilwanu Idris Malikawa as SWAN National Ex-Officio after his nomination by the SWAN President. Alhaji Malikawa was also tasked with the responsibility of coordinating SWAN activities in the North-west region in the interim.
- NEC also constituted a three-man Independent Investigation Committee led by SWAN Vice President North-central Mallam Olayinka Owolewa. SWAN National Ex-Officio Alhaji Usman Abbas Osculator and Mr. Ikem Asika are members of the Committee with a task to carry out their duties without fear or favour in line with SWAN statute.
Present at the meeting – Isaiah Benjamin (President), Azuka Chiemeka (Vice President South-South), Ayodeji Ogunsakin (Vice President, South-West), Olayinka Owolewa (Vice President, North-Central), Ahmed Kagan Amshi (Vice President, North-East), Augustine Ajayi (National Welfare Officer), Mr. Usman Abbas Shehu (National Ex-Officio), Ikenna Okonkwo (Secretary-General)
Absent with Apology – Mr. Olalekan Ige (Deputy Secretary General).