Osun state Governor, Adegboyega Oyetola, has said the result of Corona virus conducted on him and his wife have proved negative.
Oyetola at a briefing in Osogbo, Wednesday, said he submitted himself to screening because of his stay in Abuja last week.
He said his wife was also subjected to screening because of her traveling history this recent time.
Meanwhile, governor Oyetola disclosed that the first case of the corona virus has been confirmed in the state, saying that “government had contacted the family of the patient and has since commenced contact tracing to identify people who might have been in contact with the confirmed case.
He said, “Sadly, I want to say that we have the first confirmed case of the novel Coronavirus in the State. It was confirmed by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC.
“The case is a returnee from the United Kingdom and is currently receiving treatment. The sample was tested at NCDC accredited Testing Centre, which is the African Centre of Excellence in Genomics of Infectious Diseases, Ede, Osun and the result returned positive on Tuesday night.
Oyetola who said the confirmed case was not the first suspect to be subjected to investigation, noted that “all the others have tested negative.
“Considering the fact that I was in Abuja for the better part of last week, as a way of leading by example, I have also subjected myself to test. My wife, because of her recent travel history also subjected herself to test. Both came back negative.
“To this end, I want to passionately encourage all returnees from UK, US, Europe, the West African Coast and indeed other high risk countries to self-isolate and submit themselves to test, so as to assist the government in containing the spread of the virus. The Emergency number to call is 293. Other numbers are: 08035025692, 08033908772 and 08056456250.
“A Taskforce has been set up to man all the state land borders and conduct preliminary screening.
“All major markets will be shut down with effect from Friday, March 27. However, traders are allowed to sell food items in front of their houses.
Pharmacies are also exempted from this ban.
“The ban on public gatherings, church services, Mosques, social events and political meetings among others remain in force.
“As part of our efforts to curb the spread of Coronavirus in the state, we have set up holding centres and the one in Asubiaro Specialist Hospital, Osogbo, is up and running, to isolate and treat suspected and reported cases of the virus in the State.