Uncertainty as ‘corrupt’ Minister resigns

South Africa’s Minister of Sports, Arts and Culture, Zizi Kodwa who was on Wednesday arrested over corruption allegation and later charged before the court, has announced his resignation.

The Minister’s spokesman in a statement however says he strongly denied the charges against him.

Kodwa was appointed the Sports, Arts and Culture ministerial portfolio in President Cyril Ramaphosa’s cabinet last year after being deputy minister of state security.

He was spokesperson of the African National Congress (ANC) party from 2014 to 2017, a party that is considering forming a government of national unity with a wide range of parties after losing its majority in last week’s parliamentary election.

Kodwa was granted bail during a hearing at a magistrate’s court in Johannesburg, elite police unit the Hawks said in a statement.

His lawyer said he would not evade trial and would disclose his defence at a later stage, footage by public broadcaster SABC showed.
Kodwa was indicted by a judicial inquiry into alleged corruption during former president Jacob Zuma’s time in office.

He allegedly received a bribe of about 1.7 million rand ($90,000) from an executive of a local technology company that received tenders from government departments.

The Hawks said the money was reportedly used to buy a luxury car among other things.