In Osun, 7 family members die inside rooms

The Police in Osun Wednesday said it has received a report on seven members of a family found dead in their rooms on Tuesday in Apomu, Isokan local government area of Osun state.

The command’s spokesperson, Yemisi Opalola, said eight persons were found in the rooms in the house but only one was breathing.

Ms Opalola said poison of carbon monoxide (generator fume) is suspected to be the cause, but that the result of an autopsy would confirm the cause of death.

She said a generator was found in the house and a report that the generator was used by the family the previous day gave suspicion to carbon monoxide poisoning but that investigation is ongoing to know the real cause.

“Autopsy will be carried out on the remains of the victims to ascertain the real cause of their death.

“One person, a 14-year old girl, was found still alive (though unconscious) and she has been taken to the hospital where she is recuperating.

“The remains of the other dead members of the family had also been taken to Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) Teaching Hospital, Ile-Ife, where autopsy will be carried out on them to ascertain the cause of their death,” she said.

The seven dead persons were discovered by neighbours who believed they died in their sleep.