Four years after, woman grieves over missing husband

In this piece, PATRICK AHANOR captures the pains of a wife over her missing husband, four years after

Blames Edo deputy speaker for ordeal

Before Victor Igbinovia left home on February 2, 2013, he had cuddled his wife, Felicia, and promised to return a day after.

And in response, Felicia bade Victor bye with a kiss and hoped to welcome him within 24 hours.

But, the expectation of Victor’s   return still lingers on in the heart of Felicia and other family members four years after.

Victor was the personal driver to the Member representing Esan Central State Constituency and now Deputy Speaker of Edo State House of Assembly, Mr. Victor Edoror.

He was said to have been taken into hostage on February 3, 2013, alongside his boss, (Victor Edoror) on the Benin -Auchi Expressway.


Whereabouts unknown

Two weeks after his abduction, Victor Edoror was released by his kidnappers while the whereabouts of his driver, Victor Igbinovia, remains unknown till date.

Amidst grief and anger, elder sister of Victor Igbinovia, who identified herself as Pastor (Mrs.) Adesuwa Igunbor, protested to the Edo State Council, Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), where she expressed regrets over the lack of action from the deputy speaker and security operatives on the matter.

Joined in the protest were Igbinovia’s wife and her six-year-old daughter, who was said to be barely two years when her father left home on that fateful day.

His elder sister who wept intermittently said: “My brother (Victor Igbinovia), was at home in Benin City on February 2, 2013, when he received a call from his boss (Victor Edoror), to the effect that he should come and carry him to Irrua in Edo Central Senatorial District.

“After the call, my brother told his wife that he would return the next day being February 3 and afterwards embarked on the journey.

“When his wife called him the next day, he told her that he was on his way back to Benin City and that she should prepare rice for him”.

Continuing, Pastor Igunbor said, calls put across to his brother’s mobile phone thereafter went unanswered.



She disclosed that the development prompted the family to visit the assembly complex, where they were later informed that Igbinovia and his boss have been taken into hostage.

According to her, after two weeks of the abduction, I was in the church when a call came that they have been freed.

She stated that her joy was however cut-short when she was informed that it was only the legislator that regained freedom and that his brother was still held hostage.

Mrs. Igunbor further explained that the family members afterwards engaged the lawmaker on the fate of their brother during which he told them that both of them were taken to separate locations by the gunmen.

She said: “Edoror further told us that the hoodlums only gave him a mobile phone when he was released and told him that they (hoodlums) will call him.

“Edoror, nonetheless told us that we should be patient   noting that he suspects the kidnappers were holding the driver hostage because they may want to demand another ransom.


Drama at Edoror’s residence

“Days after, the family members decided to visit Edoror at his official residence to inquire if there is any news from the kidnappers.

“We were however taken aback when he claimed that he has dropped the said phone at the police station and that we should go to the police.

“Irked by his (lawmaker) grandstanding, I was now on top of my voice at his residence and moved to grip him, Edoror called in his security details who in turn drove us away.”

Igbinovia’s wife who also corroborated his sister in-law’s comments appealed to relevant security agencies to call the legislator for questioning on the whereabouts of his husband.

She said life has become unbearable for her and her only daughter since the incident occurred.

When contacted for his reaction on the telephone, Edoror said he was on a journey, adding that the matter was already before the police.