Fire razes Sokoto central market, multi-million naira property lost


Properties worth billions of naira and raw cash were lost following the fire disaster that razed part of the Sokoto central market.

Blueprint gathered that thousands of shops and makeshifts were razed by the inferno but as at time of filing this report, no loss of life was reported.

The disaster, which took men of fire service the whole day to put off, reportedly started at Kofar Yan Roba at about 7 am and was reportedly caused by an electrical fault.

Thick smoke beclouded the Gandu horizon as a result of the raging fire which consumed over 60% of the market.

All efforts by fire fighting men from the federal and state fire services could not quickly save the situation because there were no access roads within the market.

The incident affected the popular Shehu Shagari main gate, Kofar Yan Roba, Kofar Gabas, and central area of the market where the administrative blocks, numerous shoes, brocade/ atampa materials, plastic/ aluminum plates, rubber mats and blow stores and shops were situated.

Sokoto state governor, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, his deputy, Alhaji Mohammed Maniru Dan Iya and chairman Sokoto central market, Alhaji Ibrahim Milgoma have since paid an instant visit to condole with the traders.

Leave a Reply