The Senate building of the Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria, kaduna state, has been engulfed by fire.
According to a statement by the public affairs directorate, office of the Vice-Chancellor. which confirmed the incident, the inferno erupted from a room housing an electrical Distribution Board (DB) at the ground floor of University’s Senate building located inside the Samaru main campus.
Part of the statement reads, “The fire started around 4:15pm; and its cause could not be immediately ascertained.
“No injuries or casualties have been recorded.
“However, the Distribution Board and some obsolete public address systems have been consumed by the fire.
“The timely intervention of the University firefighters and security personnel saved the situation. In fact, power has since been restored to the building”.
“The Vice-Chancellor, Prof Kabiru Bala, was at the scene of the incident along with some management staff and hundreds of sympathisers.
“Meanwhile, the university management has raised a team to unravel the circumstances surrounding the cause of the fire.
Prof Bala commended the University firefighters and security personnel for putting out the fire”, the statement added.