Bandits kill one, injure others, set market ablaze in Zamfara

Suspected armed bandits numbering over 100 stormed Yartashar Sahabi market square during market day under Dansadau Emirate in Maru local government council of Zamfara state, Thursday, opened fire on traders killing as many other injured and set the market on fire.

In a Telephone interview with Blueprint in Gusau, a resident of the village said the bandits took positions and sorrounded the market square began shooting sporadically on air and despassed traders who are busy doing their business during market day in the village.

He explained that during the attack, many people were injured as a result of stampede to escape from the attack in the market.

“As I am talking to you now, everybody locked themselves inside homes for fear of the Bandits attack but I can not precisely tell you exact number of people injured and I saw only one body of the slain trader killed by the Bandits, and they made away with food items worth millions of Naira belonging to traders during the attack before they later set the market on fire,” he said.

Bandits had earlier invaded Kabasa village close to Dansadau area in Maru Local Government Council of Zamfara State last Tuesday, killed five villagers and three soldiers including a Major Officer attached to Exercise Sahel Sanity Operation in charge of Magami, Dankurmi and Dansadau areas.

Blueprint reports that Governor Bello Mohammed Matawalle had earlier last year initiated peace reconciliation process with Bandits group which is currently ongoing in the state but some yet to be repent Bandits used to attack People day in day out. 

The resident further stated that the bandits after looting some food items set almost all the stalls of the market including some provisions belonging to traders on fire and run to the bush after sighting the Mobile Police attached to Operation Puff Adder.

“As I am talking to you now, many traders scattered and properties worth millions of Naira belonging to them was also lost during the attack,” he said. 

Meanwhile, efforts to reach the spokeman of the state police command Sp. Muhammad Shehu by our Correspondent proved abortive as all his telephone numbers were switched up as at the time of filling the report.