Gov Abubakar makes u-turn, vows to challenge PDP in court


The All Progressive Congress (APC) and its candidate in the 2019 governorship election in Bauchi state, Mohammed Abubakar, have reversed their earlier position of accepting the election result in good faith, instead have vowed to challenge it in court.

According to a video clip released by Abubakar’s Special Assistant on Communication Shamsuddeen Lukman, the governor made his intention to go to court known Thursday while addressing his supporters at his campaign organisation in Bauchi shortly after returning to the state.

He said he had earlier accepted the outcome of the election as a destiny adding that he now met with President Muhammadu Buhari and the national leadership of the party which informed him of its plan to file suit against the election. 

The governor said as a party loyalist he was in support of its new decision to challenge the victory in court.

He noted that the party has hired four Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SANS) to file the case saying he was hopeful that he would triumph in court. 

“The reason for my travelling to Abuja was to meet with vice president, president and party chairman all of whom told me that the party would go to court to challenge the election results”. He said in the video clip. 

Abubakar alleged that since the announcement of the PDP candidate, Bala Mohammed, winner of the election, Sara-Suka thuggery has resurfaced in Bauchi vowing that he would meet with security agencies today with a view to addressing the menace. 

Recall that the outgoing governor went to a federal high court in Abuja to secure order that would restrain the Independent National Electoral Commission from collating and announcing Bauchi governorship election results on the ground that the election was allegedly marred by irregularities. 

But the electoral umpire after conducting supplementary election vacated the court order and announced Bala Mohammed winner having polled the highest votes.